Could there be an activity that helps residents socialize, use their minds critically, keep them connected, and have fun?! Yes, a resident-run newsletter!
Here are 6 steps to successfully implementing a resident-run newsletter:
- At your next Resident Council meeting, suggest the idea of having a facility newsletter. See how residents react. Identify residents who seem enthused about the idea, they will most likely bring life to the idea!
- Then, recruit some of your regular volunteers to assist your Newsletter Club with typing and editing.
- Have a weekly meeting listed on your activity calendar so that residents can come together and discuss the newsletter. Make sure the meeting is socially-distanced and that all the proper precautions are taking. Consider an online meeting to make things extra safe.
- Insist that the newsletter is approved by the administrator or executive director of the facility
- Download copies of other facilities' newsletters off the web to show residents.
- Finally, recommend that the first edition of the newsletter be only one page. Keep it simple, make it happen!
Check out the original idea here.