7 Useful Apps for Caregivers
A smartphone has the potential to be one of the most useful tools in a caregiver’s toolbox. When it’s loaded with great apps, a smartphone can help keep track of prescriptions, doctor’s appointments, and health issues, just to name a few things. Smartphones can also help caregivers coordinate with family, de-stress after a long day, and even decide what to have for dinner.
Here’s our handy list of useful smartphone apps for caregivers. All are available on both the iOS App Store and Google Play Store.
1. Alzheimer's Caregiver Buddy
The Alzheimer's Caregiver Buddy provides tips and tricks that allows caregivers to provide better care for someone with memory loss. The app provides advice for caregivers in areas such as daily routine, communication, behaviours, and activities of daily living.
- Instant caregiver help and advice.
- Tips for dealing with wandering, bathing, and meals.
- Get help with difficult behaviours and communication challenges.
Medisafe is a fantastic app that caregivers can use to manage their loved ones’ prescriptions and medications. The app provides a simple interface which is used to track which medications need to be taken and when. Reminders are sent when it’s time to take a dose, and a tracker is used to confirm. This reduces the likelihood of missing a dosage or taking a double dose.
- A family alert system which notifies a loved one when medication isn’t taken.
- A feature which is used to manage medications for people who don’t have smartphones.
- A counter which tracks how many pills are left and notifies when refills are required.
3. First Aid by the Canadian Red Cross
The First Aid app is designed by the Canadian Red Cross and provides simple, quick access to instructions on how to handle common first aid issues. This is a great app for any caregiver to have to ensure they’re prepared for potential health problems. The app provides step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow, as well as video tutorials.
- First aid tips that cover medical issues in 22 different categories, including Broken Bones, Diabetic Emergencies, Seizures, and many others.
- Tips on how to prepare for emergencies like fires, power outages, winter weather, etc.
- Pre-loaded content, so the internet isn’t needed to access the information once the app has been downloaded.
The WebMD app provides access to a large amount of content on health issues and medical information. It’s a useful tool for any caregiver who needs to do research on medical conditions that their loved one may be experiencing, and how to deal with them. The app provides the ability to input symptoms which are then used to find related conditions which can be looked into.
- Thorough information on a variety of medical conditions, including symptoms, risk factors, treatments, and more.
- Drug and medication info, including uses, side effects, warnings, and more.
- A pill identifier feature that can be used to identify prescription drugs by color, size, and imprint.
Pacifica is an app designed to improve mental health for those experiencing stress, anxiety, and depression. Caregivers are prone to these issues, so Pacifica is a useful tool which may provide some relief. The methods used by the app are designed by psychologists and are based on cognitive behavioural therapy, mindfulness meditation, relaxation, and mood tracking. Pacifica helps try to break the cycle of negative thoughts and effectively manage mental health.
- Guided lessons and activities to help with stress, anxiety, and depression.
- A mood tracker used to rate mood, add notes, and track patterns and improvements over time.
- Communities and groups for sharing advice and getting support from others.
6. Allrecipes Dinner Spinner
The Allrecipes Dinner Spinner app makes it easy to figure out what’s for dinner. Allrecipes has a community of over 30 million home cooks who contribute recipes and vote on their quality. This is a great app for busy caregivers who may not have time to decide on dinner plans in advance. The app makes it easy to search by keyword, ingredients to include/exclude, dietary needs, cook time, and more.
- An advanced search feature that can find recipes based on ingredients already in the house.
- More than 1000 step-by-step tutorial videos that show how to make recipes.
- Shopping list feature that can add entire recipes or ingredients to the list with one tap.
Mindbliss is a guided transcendental meditation app. It provides access to a variety of different meditations designed by world-renowned teachers. This is a great app that caregivers can use to get some much-needed calm after a stressful day. It teaches basic meditation skills, which can help lead to a healthier, happier life. The app is free to download and offers several free sessions, but also has a subscription service which gives access to the full collection of over 300 meditations.
- A variety of meditation categories, including performance, wellbeing, sleep, and more.
- A choice between single meditation sessions or longer journeys with multiple parts.
- An intelligent algorithm that helps match your needs with specific meditation sessions and journeys.
These apps can help you take caregiving to the next level by saving time, making tasks easier, and keeping things organized. Download them today to start experiencing the benefits that they can add to your daily care routine!
Never miss a post!
Join our mailing list below to get new blog posts straight to your inbox!